Getting an Online Transcript
- 1Create an account at IRS.gov. If you already have an account, log in. If you don’t, go to the IRS website, and click “Get my Tax Record.” Then click “Get Transcript Online.” To make a new account you will need to provide:
- Your full name
- Date of birth
- Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
- Tax filing status (single, married, etc.)
- Mailing address used on the last tax return
- Mobile phone number that accepts texts
“You can also go directly to https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript and follow the instructions there.”
Darron Kendrick, CPA, MA
Certified Public Accountant
Darron Kendrick is an Adjunct Professor of Accounting and Law at the University of North Georgia. He received his Masters degree in tax law from the Thomas Jefferson School of Law in 2012, and his CPA from the Alabama State Board of Public Accountancy in 1984.Darron Kendrick, CPA, MA
Certified Public Accountant2Verify your new account using the code texted to you. As soon as you create a new account, a page will appear asking for a verification code. This code should be texted to you almost immediately. Type this code into the box.
3Provide a number from 1 financial account to prove your identity. The form will ask you for the account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, or car loan. You only need to provide an account number from one of these.4Choose why you need the transcript. There are many different types of tax transcripts. To help you find the one that you need, the online portal will ask you why you are requesting a transcript. Choose an option from the drop down box, such as “Student Aid,” “Mortgage Application,” or “Income Verification.”5Choose the tax year that you want the transcript for. The portal will tell you which years are available. Click on the year that you want. Most transcripts will only allow you to see the current tax year and the previous 3 years. In some cases, you may be able get transcripts for up to 10 years before the current tax year.6Download the PDF file. Once you have filled out all of the information, you will receive a PDF. Download it and save it to your computer so that you have it. Print out the transcript to keep a physical copy.
- If you do not have a mobile phone that accepts texts, you cannot request an online transcript.
You may also like !
Source: wikihow. com